Saturday, December 27, 2008

through the looking glass...

I am staring through a wall of glass into a giant parking lot, full of retail, resturaunt and business. I am fortunate to be in Athens for a few days eventhough Athens, to me, is my least favorite place on earth. Bored from reading and sitting around, I have fun watching the cars and people pass by. Unlike some folks, I gets great joy from this. How many times have we taken the time to observe things? How often do we glance around for no reason other than to just watch? This is, to me, one of the great joys in life. You find more quirks, oddities, and wierdness that just makes you burst out in random laughter. Like the dude that pulled into the financing place next door in a bright torquiose camero with a super loud exhaust system. First of all...torquiose? He got out and pimp limped to the drop box...struting like he owned the street he walked on. Then drove off. Or the old lady(in her 7o's) parking on the other side of the building and walking accross the street for a deli sandwich. the parking lot is not full, but I guess she liked to walk...took her 30 min...literally! And finally the couple who pull up in a huge, jacked up f-150, yelling and each on their cell phones talking to different people(I hope..unless that's how they communicate as a couple?)...you always wonder what all that commotion is about? just alot of loud bursts and an echo of more...
These are the things in life we miss out on if we fail to look through the looking glass of life every once and a while.

1 comment:

Joanna Christmas said...

That is so funny. We are definitely related! I love to watch people and find myself getting into so much trouble doing it. I always people watch at the mall or at church. Its the worst at football games when I'm a few rows up and there are always these younger kids walking around strutting and these little kids screaming and talking...I always listen to what they are saying and pay more attention to them than the game!