Monday, July 13, 2009

there's danger in distance...

I recently had taken a beautiful girl out ice skating. I was not aware, but this was her fist time on the ice. She looked relaxed, but a little hesitant as she laced up her skates. We get to the ice and her radiant, gleaming smile turned instantly into a gaze of terror. Being the gentleman that I am, I left her to learn to overcome her fear by herself...okay I'm not that big of a jerk! She wobbled and made unusually funny faces trying to find a rythym and maintain balance, but slowly she developed confidence. She did excellent! I was by her side to catch her if she fell; my right hand was the balance recovery go to. I don't know if that was any reassurance, but while I was nearby she did not fall, not once! She started to gain a feel for the ice(after about 20 laps) and so I gave her a little space and went ahead...I spun around to she how she was doing and just at that moment the world came crashing down, in slow motion....
I glide over to her and the look on her face screamed..."this is all your fault"...(HAHA) we got back on our feet and made throught the rest of the day....

here's the moral for those looking for one: God is here! He does not skate ahead and leave us on our own to fend for ourselves. Unlike me, he sticks close by. If I would have been there, she would not have fallen...! Since God is always here, we don't have to fall! He sustains us by his power(Psalms 18:35) What confidence we can have knowing that the magnificence that created the universe is right here...God is here....to keep us from falling on the ice of this world.

1 comment:

Joanna Christmas said...

I didn't realize you had been updating. I like this one. Simple to understand, yet still a great reminder.